Name of organization/institution
Regional organization, Civil Society Organization
Description of your organization/institution
KEIHAN Foundation was founded in 2005 by a group of dedicated Afghan students in the Netherlands. The foundation is an independent nonprofit organization without any political, religious or ethnic preferences. KEIHAN Foundation’s mission is striving for an equivalent society with equal opportunities for self-reliance and optimal development. Our vision is striving for empowerment of Afghans in the Netherlands and Afghanistan for an optimal integration and participation in society. To realize the aforementioned objectives, KEIHAN Foundation organizes projects in the field of education, integration and developmental aid. Our projects are implemented 1. Locally e.g. organizing cultural events 2. Nationally e.g. Conference on improvement of integration and education of Afghan-Dutch civilians. 3. Internationally e.g. discussions regarding Afghans diaspora related issues, humanitarian/educational projects in Afghanistan.
Description of your main WPS related activities
For the WPS agenda we submit our project 'Safe Migration'. Afghan refugees as a group are, like any other refugee group, subject to great tribulations. These are both external/environmental and internal/personal challenges. Existing data and recommendations, albeit it not be plentiful, for Afghan refugees as a whole provided by international groups such as the UNHCR and HPN have somewhat aided in diminishing their problems. Female Afghan refugees in their reproductive stage of life (ages 15-40), however, deal with issues that are rarely touched upon in campaigns. These issues include feminine hygiene, pregnancy, sexual harassment and mental health. This makes female Afghan refugees a more vulnerable group than their male counterparts during migration. To assist this vulnerable group in their migration journey and to promote research into the above mentioned issues, the Safe Migration project aims to 1. Provide evidence based information and guidance to female Afghan refugees in their reproductive stage of life (ages 15-40) that are residing in refugee camps in transit countries via the production of 6-7 educational videos. 2. Create awareness for the general public on the topic of female (safe) migration.
1. Participation - More women hold leadership positions, and women participate equally and meaningfully in decision-making processes at every level in the interests of peace and security, including conflict prevention and resolution, peacebuilding, protection, relief, reconstruction and recovery.
2. Prevention - Conflict prevention and the prevention of violent extremism, including of related violence against women and girls, is based on the human rights approach and starts from the principle of human security. Prevention policy and its implementation are conflict-sensitive, gender-sensitive, gender-responsive and gender-transformative.
3. Protection - Women and girls, as well as men and boys, in and from conflict situations, are protected against all forms of conflict-related violence, including sexual and gender- based violence. Their rights are safeguarded and enforceable.
4. Relief, reconstruction and recovery - Relief, reconstruction and recovery meet the needs and contribute to the empowerment of women and girls.
1. Participation: Sub-outcomes
1.1 Enhanced enabling conditions for equal and meaningful participation of women and girls,
1.2 Support for meaningful participation women- and diaspora organisations, human rights defenders and peace builders who work on women’s rights and gender equality
2. Prevention: Sub-outcomes
2.1 Local, multi-dimensional peaceful conflict prevention is given priority
3. Protection: Sub-outcomes
3.1 Women and girls have access to security and justice systems
3.4 Gender sensitive, -responsive, -transformative asylum policy
4. Relief, reconstruction and recovery: Sub-outcomes
4.1 Improved physical, mental, psycho-social health of women and girls
4.2 Improved socio-economic position women and girls
Type of Investment
With this campaign we seek to empower women with provision of knowledge on safe migration. This project also advocates for more research into this target group (Afghan female refugees/migrants) and implementation of female specific tools in refugee camps (eg. products concerning female menstrual hygiene).
Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, Turkey, Greece