Name of organization/institution
Civil Society Organisation or INGO
Description of your organization/institution
Hivos is an international cooperation organization, with its global office in The Hague, The Netherlands. Hivos provides support to civil society organizations working in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia. Hivos works for a world where people can realize their full potential, unleashing their ingenuity and creativity to build fair, just and life-sustaining societies for themselves and generations to come. Our mission is to amplify and connect voices that promote social and environmental justice and challenge power imbalances. We particularly empower marginalized rightsholders to raise their voice and demand freedom of choice.
Description of your main WPS related activities
We are developing a new global WPS theory of change and strategy and seeking new partnerships.
1. Participation - More women hold leadership positions, and women participate equally and meaningfully in decision-making processes at every level in the interests of peace and security, including conflict prevention and resolution, peacebuilding, protection, relief, reconstruction and recovery.
2. Prevention - Conflict prevention and the prevention of violent extremism, including of related violence against women and girls, is based on the human rights approach and starts from the principle of human security. Prevention policy and its implementation are conflict-sensitive, gender-sensitive, gender-responsive and gender-transformative.
3. Protection - Women and girls, as well as men and boys, in and from conflict situations, are protected against all forms of conflict-related violence, including sexual and gender-based violence. Their rights are safeguarded and enforceable.
4. Relief, reconstruction and recovery - Meet the needs and contribute to the empowerment of women and girls.
5. WPS Mainstreaming - A gender lens is applied to every reorganisation, improvement, development and evaluation of analysis, policy and policy implementation with regard to peace and security.
1.1 Enhanced enabling conditions for equal and meaningful participation of women and girls,
1.2 Support for meaningful participation women- and diaspora organisations, human rights defenders and peace builders who work on women’s rights and gender equality,
1.3 Peace processes and peace declarations are inclusive and bottom up
2.1 Local, multi-dimensional peaceful conflict prevention is given priority
3.1 Women and girls have access to security and justice systems,
3.2 Impunity for violent offences against women and girls combatted
4.1 Improved physical, mental, psycho-social health of women and girls,
4.2 Improved socio-economic position women and girls,
4.3 Humanitarian response is conflict- and gender -networks sensitive and - responsive; main role for local women’s organisations and where possible, gender-transformative, with local women’s organisations and networks at the forefront.
5.3 Organisations have positive gender norms; specific focus on role men and boys,
5.4 Improved coordination of actors in peace and security.
What type of investments will you make to contribute to the selected outcome(s)?
Syria / Middle East
5 years - 2025